|Guidance Department, 440-779-3517
The Guidance Department is divided by grade level
Tricia Calloway - Grade 9
Margie McMullen, Department Chair - Grade 10
Wendy Kormos - Grade 11
Kristy LaBella - Grade 12
DUE TO THE DAYS OFF SCHOOL, THE DEADLINE TO TURN IN COMPLETED COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO MARCH 3, 2015, AT 3:30PM.
SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS, AND SENIORS - Do you need another copy of the Fall Newsletters?
COLLEGE CREDIT PLUS
If you were not able to attend the meeting, no worries. Please read the attachments, and as always, contact your son or daughter's counselor if you have questions.
PRACTICE SAT IS AVAILABLE AT NORTH OLMSTED HIGH SCHOOL ON MARCH 7, 2015, FROM 9-1:30PM. PLEASE COME TO GUIDANCE TO SIGN UP. ON TESTING DAY, PLEASE BRING YOUR ID, CALCULATOR, AND NUMBER 2 PENCILS.
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION NIGHTS AT LORAIN COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE
* FA Information Night, March 11, 2015, 4-7pm, LCCC's Learning Center, 201 West Erie, Lorain
OGT'S FOR ALL 10TH GRADERS AND MAKEUPS FOR 11TH AND 12TH GRADERS
Monday, March 16, 2015, Reading
Tuesday, March 17, 2015, Math
Wednesday, March 18, 2015, Writing
Thursday, March 19, 2015, Science
Friday, March 20, 2015, Social Studies
More information will be provided as it gets closer to the test dates. If you have any questions, please see your guidance counselor.
COLLEGE PLANNING NIGHT WILL BE HELD ON APRIL 15, 2015, AT 7:00PM IN THE HIGH SCHOOL CAFETORIUM.
DUE TO THE DAYS OFF SCHOOL, THE DEADLINE TO TURN IN COMPLETED COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO MARCH 3, 2015, AT 3:30PM.
Follow us on Twitter for the latest updates from Guidance - NOHSGuidance.
The registration deadline for the April 18, 2015, ACT is on March 13, 2015. Don't miss the registration deadline. Register online at http://www.actstudent.org/start
COLLEGE NOW GREATER CLEVELAND Resource Center is a free service located at 200 Public Square - Ground Floor. They specialize in scholarships searching, the FAFSA, and overall college search. Please check out their website for their available hours and ALL they offer. http://www.collegenowgc.org
* IF YOU DO NOT SEE A SCHOLARSHIP(S) LISTED BELOW THAT YOU BELIEVE IS AVAILABLE, PLEASE CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE OF THE COLLEGE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AND/OR THE ORGANIZATION THAT YOU BELIEVE OFFERS THE SCHOLARSHIP(S).
* For more information on Ohio Private Colleges and Scholarships they offer, please visit the following website for detailed information http://www.ohioprivatecolleges.org
* Check out the University of Akron's website for details deadlines for their scholarships and financial aid programs http://www.uakron.edu/finaid
* The University of Toledo has a list of First-Time Freshman Admission Scholarships and Awards. Please view their website for details http://www.utoledo.edu/financialaid/scholarships
* The Ohio Oil & Gas Energy Education Foundation is offering $1,000 scholarships to graduating seniors who have a career goal in crude oil and natural gas industry, or related energy field, must be a US citizen, must be an Ohio resident or student attending or planning to attend an Ohio college, university or trade school, and have at least a 2.50 GPA. Applications must be done by March 31, 2015. They are available in the scholarship binder in the guidance office.
* The Lorain County Community College Foundation is offering full tuition scholarships for students enrolled in the University of Toledo Computer Science and Engineering program through the partnership with LCCC. Please check out the application and requirements to apply in the scholarship binder in guidance.
* The University of Mount Union is offering the Minority Achievement Award. Required on-campus interview/essay are on February 19, 2015 from 8:30am-12:30pm and March 21, 2015, from 4:30pm-8:30pm. For more information on the award, please visit their website http://mountunion.edu/minority-achievement-award
* Stop the Hate Youth Speak Out sponsored by the Maltz Museum of Jewish Heritage sponsors a scholarship for students to write an essay about how they experienced an act of intolerance or hatred and how they responded to it. Essays for 6-10th graders are due by January 29, 2015. Essays for 11-12th graders are due by February 26, 2015. For more information and to apply, please visit the website http://www.maltzmuseum.org/stop-the-hate
* The Buick Achievers Scholarship Program offers scholarships to students who succeed in and out of the classroom. The application deadline is February 27, 2015. Please visit their website for information and to apply http://www.buickachievers.com
* The University Of Akron Choose Ohio First STEM Scholarship Program is offering scholarships up to $5,200 to students majoring in science, technology, engineering, math, and medicine at the University of Akron. Interested students should visit the following website, http://www.uachooseohiofirst.com
* BAYarts is offering a 2015 Scholarship for graduating seniors in great Cleveland pursuing degrees in visual art. Please get an application from the scholarship binder in guidance or download it at http://www.bayarts.net
* The Team Cleveland Student-Athlete Scholarship is awarded to self-identified LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual) student-athletes who have made a contribution to the sport(s) he or she is a part of and as a result of his or her contributions and involvement has helped the perception of the LGBTQIA community. The scholarship is due by March 1, 2015. Please get a copy of the scholarship application from the scholarship binder in the guidance office.
* The Metro West Kiwanis Charitable Foundation is offering 3 scholarships in the amount of $2,500 each scholarship for students who are looking to further their education after high school. The scholarship application is due by March 16, 2015. Please come to guidance and get a copy of the application from the scholarship binder.
* The 2015 Ohio Association for College Admission Counseling (OACAC) Charles L. Warren Memorial Heritage Scholarship
is open to high school seniors
who attend schools where at least one school counselor in the school is a current member of OACAC, the senior student is planning to attend an Ohio college or university, and the student is from underrepresented populations with a grade point average of a 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
Applications must be postmarked no later than March 16, 2015
. The application is available at http://oacac.org/student-scholarships/
* The Young American Creative Patriotic Art Awards are open to 9-12th graders. Applications are to be dropped off at the VFW Post 7647 by March 31, 2015. Creative Patriotic Art Awards.pdf
* The Ohio Association of Career Colleges and Schools is offering over 200 scholarships to seniors graduating in June 2015 with a "C" average or better. Please come into guidance for an application or check it out on their website http://www.ohiocareercolleges.org
* Wright State University and the Army ROTC offers a variety or merit-based scholarships and incentives for AROTC cadets. For more information, please visit the following website http://www.wright.edu/army-rotc
. The National Board Scholarship deadlines are December 24, 2014, and February 28, 2015.
* The Phi Delta Kappa North Coast of Ohio Chapter is offering scholarships to graduating seniors who are interested in the field of education. The application deadline is March 1, 2015. Please get an application from the Scholarship Binder in the Guidance Office.
* The Ohio Association of Public School Employees is offering scholarships to graduating seniors who have parents who are OAPSE union members. The application deadline is March 1, 2015. Please get a copy of the application from the scholarship binder in the guidance office or from their website http://www.oapse.org
* The Ohio PTA Memorial Scholarship Program is offering Academic, Technical, or Special Education Scholarships of $500.00. Scholarships are based on scholastic achievement, school involvement, leadership qualifications, and special family circumstances. Applications are due by March 1, 2015. The application is available on their website, http://www.ohiopta.org
* The Esperanza Scholarship Program annually awards college scholarships to eligible Hispanic students who reside in Cuyahoga or Lorain counties, have at least a 2.5 GPA, have taken the ACT or SAT, and have completed the FAFSA which indicates financial need. For further information on the criteria for this scholarship and to apply, please visit their website, http://www.esperanzainc.org/scholarships
The application deadline is March 27, 2015.
* Gannon University is offering scholarships to students who are applying and accepted to Gannon as a full-time student, majoring in engineering or computer science, have at least a cumulative GPA of a 3.00, and have either a 24 ACT or 1100 SAT (math and verbal). The application deadline is March 30, 2015. For more information and to apply, please visit http://www.gannon.edu/seecs
* The Ohio Oil & Gas Energy Education Foundation is offering $1,000 scholarships to students who have at least a 2.50 GPA, are a US citizen, Ohio resident or going to an Ohio college, trade, or university, and have a career goal in crude oil and natural gas industry or related energy field. Applications are available in the scholarship binder in the guidance office, and the due date is March 31, 2015.
* The Lebanese Syrian American Junior League is awarding (3) $1,000.00 college scholarships to an academically outstanding young man or woman of Lebanese or Syrian descent who has a "B" or better scholastic average. Applications are due March 31, 2015, and are available in the guidance office in the scholarship binder.
* Parker Hannifin Corporation is again offering a scholarship to a high school senior with a minimum of a 2.8 GPA and intending to pursue a technical degree. Please come to guidance for an application. The application deadline is April 2, 2015.
* The William D. Squires Scholarship is offering 15 scholarships to students with a 3.20 minimum GPA, who are in financial need, have good character, and know their career goal. The application can be found online at http://www.wmdsquiresfoundation.org
, and can be completed from February 1 until April 6, 2015.
* The Northeast Region of the Ohio School Boards Association, or NEOSBA, offers a $1,000 "book grant" (scholarship) to a student who is pursuing a degree in education. The application deadline is May 15, 2015. Applications are available in the scholarships binder in the guidance office or online at http://www.ohioschoolboards.org
* The Americans of Italian Heritage and the American of Italians Heritage Charities, Inc. has a scholarship that offers four $2,000 scholarship to students that are will be a full-time college student after high school, have at least a 2.5 GPA, has at least one parent of Italian descent, and demonstrates financial need. Applications are due by May 15, 2015, and are available in the scholarship binder in guidance or online at http://www.aihclub.com
* Are you an "Aspiring Fashion Professional?" If you are, there is an "Aspiring Fashion Professional Scholarship" worth $1,000, and the application deadline is June 1, 2015. Graduating seniors interested in pursuing a fashion degree at an accredited post-secondary school or college should look at the bottom right hand corner of the following website to apply http://www.fashion-schools.org/.
* There is an "Aspiring Animation Professional Scholarship" worth applying to if you are a pursuing an animation career path at an accredited post-secondary school or college. The application deadlinje is June 1, 2015. Interested students should visit the following website http://www.animationcareerreview.com/
and the scholarship will be on the right side of that page.
* The AMDA has announced its National Audition Tour for Admission and Scholarships. They will be in Cleveland, OH, on Feburary 28, 2015. For more information, please visit their website http://www.amda.edu
* The Positive Coaching Alliance is offering high school JUNIOR student-athletes who exemplify the Triple-Impact Competitor model of improving themselves, their team, and their sport, an opportunity for a scholarship. Application deadline is May 31, 2015. Please visit their website to apply and for more information http://www.positivecoach.org/our-awards/triple-impact-competitor-scholarships/
* The Great Lakes Neurotechnologies Biomedical Engineering Education Scholarship was created to assist two Cleveland area high school seniors who plan on attending a four-year college or university in pursuit of a degree in Biomedical Engineering. The scholarships are $1,000.00 each, and the student must have at least a 3.00 GPA in order to apply. The application deadline is April 30, 2015. For more information and to apply, please visit their website, http://glneurotech.com/2015-bme-scholarships.
|College Rep. Visits
The following colleges will have representatives at NOHS on the following dates and times: (Please remember to come to guidance to sign up and get a pink pass from one of the secretaries at least one day in advance):
Tuesday, March 3, Army: During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, March 4, Marines, During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, March 11, National Guard, During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, March 25, National Guard, During lunches in the Cafeteria
Tuesday, April 7, Army: During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, April 8, Marines, During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, April 15, National Guard, During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, April 29, National Guard, During lunches in the Cafeteria
Tuesday, May 5, Army: During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, May 6, Marines, During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, May 13, National Guard, During lunches in the Cafeteria
Wednesday, May 27, National Guard, During lunches in the Cafeteria
|Get Involved and Plan for the Future
ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS:
Check out all the clubs and activities we offer at NOHS and get involved. Be a part of Eagle Pride! It's fun and helps you for your future!!! Clubs and Activities 2014-2015.pdf
The Ohio Means Jobs is a useful and free website to help you figure out what career/job you may want to explore in your future. For more information, please check out the website http://www.ohiomeansjobs.com.
|Polaris for the 2015-2016 school year
Are you 10th graders interested in going to Polaris as a junior? Did you miss the field trip in November? You can still go on a Career Tech Thursday. Please complete the attached form and turn it into Mrs. McMullen. Polaris Tech Thursday Form.pdf
For more information on the Polaris Application Process, please read the attached
|Summer Programs 2015
|* Duke University is offering summer programs for Summer 2015. Please check out their website for more details. http://summersession.duke.edu/high-school-students
* The Phillips Exeter Academy Summer School in New Hampshire offers 5 weeks of academic study, athletics, and exploration for junior high and high school students. Please visit their website http://www.exeter.edu/summer
* The Glenn High School Internship Project (GHIP) is having a Summer Internship (at the Glenn Research Center) for students that are 16 years old before June 15, 2015 and are US Citizens. Students must also be a current sophomore or junior, and a minimum of a 3.00 GPA. This program is NOT for graduating seniors (class of 2015). Applications deadline is March 1, 2015. The project is for students interested in careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM). For more information and to apply, please visit the following website https://intern.nasa.gov/
* The Cleveland Botanical Garden has a Holden Junior Volunteer Summer Program. They are seeking outstanding students (age 14 and up) who love nature, want to try new things, and make a difference. The program runs from June 15-July 31. Full program details and applications are available at http://www.holdenarb.org
* The Accounting Careers Awareness Program in Ohio offers an all-expense paid campus residency program for minority high school students in Ohio. The program is set for June 14-19, 2015, at the main campus of The Ohio State University's Fisher College of Business in Columbus, Ohio. Application brochures are available in the Summer Program binder in the guidance office or online at http://www.FutureCPA.com
. Applications are due by April 1.
* The 2015 Martin W. Essex School for Gifted and Talented at Otterbein University offers rising high school juniors and seniors opportunities for career opportunities through a variety of unique ways. There is a camp at Otterbeing University from June 14-20, 2015. Application deadline is March 1, 2015. For more information and to apply, please visit http://www.otterbein.edu/essex
* Wright State University Pre-College Programs is offering Residential Camps and Institutes for students in grades 6-12. Please visit their website for more information, http://www.wright.edu/precollege
* Boston University offers a variety of pre-college programs for high school students. For more information and deadlines, please visit their website, http://www.bu.edu/summer/highschool
* The Great Lakes Science Center has spring break camps that they are in need of volunteers. The Spring Break Camp dates are March 30, 31, April 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 2015. Please check out their website for more information http://www.GreatScience.com
* Indiana University of Pennsylvania Cook Honors College offers a Summer Honors Program for intellectually rising high school juniors or seniors (maybe even sophomores). The cost is $350 for the full two week program, July 12-25, 2015. Applications are due by May 1, 2015, and are available at http://www.iup.edu/honors/summer
* Gettysburg College is offering a variety of Academic Summer Programs - Camp Psych, Writing Camp, Government Leadership Camp, and Civil War Institute Summer Conference High School Student Scholarship Program. Please check out their website for more information http://www.gettysburg.edu
* John Carroll University offers Health Information Technology Camps for juniors and seniors to be. The Building Mobile Apps in Healthcare IT is from July 13-17, 2015, and the IBM Watson Technology Camp in Healthcare IT is from July 20-24, 2015. Tuition for one camp is $225, and for both camps is $400. For more information and to apply, please visit http://sites.jcu.edu/healthitcamp
* Ohio Business Week is a week-long business camp for high school students who are interested in business. The camp is June 21-27, 2015, at Ohio Dominican University. The application deadline is May 31, 2015. Applications are available in guidance or online at http://www.ohiobusinessweek.org
* Want to study abroad in Spain, France, Italy, Costa Rica or China for college credit. With SPI programs, the traditional classroom takes a backseat to exciting activities around the city, conversations with locals and weekend journeys where history, art and culture come to life! For more information, visit spiabroad.com or call 866-502-7505. The Enrollment & Scholarship Deadline: March 1, 2015”